Green Vegan ChiliFrom dannigirl 8 years ago
- (2) 28 oz. cans tomatillos (Goya brand) shopping list
- (1) small can whole green chilis, drained & chopped coarsely shopping list
- (2) or more fresh jalapenos, roasted, peled and seeded (leave seeds for more heat) shopping list
- 1 qt. + vegetable stock shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups dry TVP (textured vegetable protein), rehydrated w/1.25 c boiling water shopping list
- 1 cup quinoa, toasted in dry skillet shopping list
- 2T. ground cumin seed, toast whole seeds in dry skillet & then grind shopping list
- 2T. ground coriander seed, toast whole seeds in dry skillet & then grind shopping list
- 1 med-lg. onion, chopped shopping list
- 3-4 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped fine shopping list
- extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn shopping list
- (1) 14 oz. can black beans shopping list
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups raw pumpkin seeds, toasted & ground finely shopping list
- Optional serving toppings: chopped green onion, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped fresh chilis or other hot peppers shopping list
How to make it
- Saute onions & garlic in liberal amount of olive oil. (Don’t burn or brown the garlic.)
- Add spices, then peppers.
- Drain liquid from tomatillos, squeeze tomatillos thru fingers to break up and add to pot. (Fresh tomatillos are preferable, but taste best if husked, washed & roasted first – under broiler or on grill.)
- Add vegetable stock, TVP and simmer covered for 20-30 minutes
- Add quinoa. Cook for another 20 minutes Turn off after cooking w/quinoa & finish with the rest of the ingredients the next day.
- Continue: add corn & beans, bring back to simmer & heat through. S & P to taste.
- Add pumpkin seeds last. If too much liquid, simmer with top off until desired consistency.
- Add optional serving toppings to individual portions just before serving.