Mums Coconut Cream Pie aka Birthday PieFrom crabhappychick 8 years ago
- 5 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 5 tablespoons cake flour shopping list
- 1/4 tablespoon salt shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 3 egg yolks, beaten shopping list
- 1 cup coconut shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 pie crust (9 inch), baked shopping list
- 4 egg whites shopping list
- 8 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup coconut shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the sugar, flour, salt and milk together in a saucepan. Stir well. Gradually add the egg yolks combine thoroughly. Cook over a low heat until the custard thickens, add the coconut and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Pour the custard into a baked crust.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy, add sugar. Beat to stiff peaks. Cover the custard with the meringue, sealing the edges of the meringue to the crust. Sprinkle with coconut and pop into a 400 degree oven just until the meringue and coconut are lightly browned.
- NOTE: As with all my mother's other pies, the recipe is for a 9" but she made (and I do too since I got her pie plates) 10" ones. If you use a 10", be sure to halve again all the ingredients to fill up the shell nicely.
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating2 people
Thank-you for sharing a "5"FORK!!!!! recipe~
This Coconut Cream Pie made from
your Mother's recipe and in one of
her pie plates must bring back Lovely and
Delicious 'Memories' ~ (^_^) ~
I am looking forward to '...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Oh, this sounds absolutely heavenly. I'm with KK, this will be on my short list.
notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it