Gorgonzola And Wild Mushroom TartFrom luisascatering 6 years ago
- 1 recipe simple puff pastry - recipe follows shopping list
- 2 C wild mushrooms (MYCopia chef sampler: Trumpet Royale, Alba Clamshell, Brown Clamshell mushrooms) shopping list
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves shopping list
- 1 tsp. fresh sage, chopped shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, minced shopping list
- 1 cup gorgonzola cheese (my fav is Mountain gorgonzola from Italy, domestic Amish Blue is awesome too) shopping list
- parchment paper shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten with 1 Tbsp. water shopping list
- kosher salt and white pepper to taste shopping list
- extra virgin olive oil, for sauteing shopping list
- Simple Puff Pastry: shopping list
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted organic butter shopping list
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
How to make it
- FOR THE SIMPLE PUFF PASTRY:
- Cut the butter into 1/4 inch pieces. Place 1 1/3 cups of the flour and the 1/2 tsp salt in a food processor. Add 1 stick of the cut up butter, pulsing until combined. Add the remaining stick of cut up butter and 1/3 cup of flour to the food processor, tossing the butter pieces until the butter is coated with flour. Pulse 3-4 times to just combine (you want to see specks of butter there still). Add about 1/3 cup ice water and pulse until the dough just forms a ball. If you need to add more water, do so.
- Dust a work surface with flour and roll out to form a 10x14 inch rectangle. Fold into thirds, creating a 3x14 inch rectangle. Fold into thirds again, this time forming a 3x4 inch rectangle. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour (dough may be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month).
- FOR THE TART:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Cut mushrooms into small pieces and sauté in olive oil until tender. Put aside and hold. Sauté onions with sugar in oil and vinegar until caramelized. Add the thyme, sage and parsley.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mushrooms, onions, garlic and cheese. Mix until well blended. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the puff pastry in half (save other half for another use). Roll the dough out to a 10 inch circle. Divide the mixture into the middle of the pastry round and fold the pastry around the mixture in a pleated fashion. Egg wash the edge with a pastry brush.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until done. Cut in wedges and serve with baby arugula mix and balsamic viniagrette.