Leshta Chorba Bulgarian Lentil SoupFrom brinton 6 years ago
- 1 lb brown lentils, washed shopping list
- 1, 15 oz can stewed tomatos shopping list
- 2 C shredded or chopped carrots (or a small pkg baby carrots) shopping list
- 1 med onion, diced shopping list
- 2-3 cloved minced garlic shopping list
- 2-3 teaspoons summer savory (In Bulgarian it's CHOO-bri-tza) shopping list
- 1 t flat leaf parsley shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 6-7 C water shopping list
How to make it
- On the stove top in a large soup pan, heat the water on medium high till almost boiling.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, savory and parsley.
- Salt and pepper to taste as well
- Cook till the lentils are done 35-45 mins.
- It's important to note that you don't want this dish to boil, but just simmer under the boiling point. The lower and slower you can cook the soup will also enhance the flavors. However, if you don't have time for low and slow, this hour version will also be great