Sweet Potato CasseroleFrom whodunitrdr 6 years ago
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes; scrubbed shopping list
- 2 large eggs; lightly beaten shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter; melted shopping list
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper; to taste shopping list
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple in juice; drained shopping list
- 1/4 cup pecans; coarsely chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Put the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and pierce each one 2-3 times with a fork.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender.
- Put aside to cool.
- Turn the oven down to 350.
- Scoop the sweet potato out of their skins and into a medium bowl.
- Discard the skins.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Add the eggs, butter, sugar and spices.
- Whisk until smooth, add pineapple and mix well.
- Butter an 8x8 inch casserole.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into the pan and sprinkle with the pecans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a bit puffy.
- Serve immediately.
- Notes: Casserole can be made a day or two ahead up to the point of adding the nuts and baking it. Cover and refrigerate and when ready to serve, add nuts and bake as directed.