Chana Saag Chickpea Spinach CurryFrom sharky 7 years ago
- 1 lb fresh baby spinach shopping list
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas shopping list
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated shopping list
- 3 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 2 tsp cardamom shopping list
- 1 inch stick cinnamon (or 2 tsp. ground) shopping list
- 5-6 cloves garlic chopped shopping list
- 1 cup onions finely chopped shopping list
- 1 can tomatoes chopped shopping list
- .5 tsp turmeric powder shopping list
- 1 tsp ground coriander shopping list
- .5 tsp red chili powder shopping list
- .5 tsp garam masala shopping list
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse chickpeas and roughly chop baby spinach.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add cardamom and cinnamon. Wait for a minute.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add garlic and cook till it starts to change color. Then add onions and sauté until golden.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add turmeric powder, ground coriander, chili powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well for a minute.
- Add ginger. Stir for a few seconds. Add tomatoes and sauté for 3-4 minutes till well blended.
- Add chickpeas. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes. Cook covered for 10 minutes until chickpeas turn slightly soft.
- Add half of the spinach, stir, and put lid on saucepan for 1 minute. Remove lid and add the other half of the spinach and repeat the covering process.
- Remove lid and simmer uncovered for 10 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with paratha and Basmati rice.
The Cooksharky Baltimore, MD
The Rating5 people
Awesome! Another gem to add to my collection and use to impress my indian friends. LOL Love the combos, great job!tazoncaffeine in Manchester loved it
A delicious healthy take on this dish! Great combination of spices, but not too hot! Our whole family loved it!rfurash in loved it
I have made this recipe several times now and absolutely love it! The amount of spice is perfect and I like that the spinach is chopped, not pureed. It is quick, easy, and delicious!lmhughey in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!