Rubies Under Shaved IceFrom ttaaccoo 6 years ago
- The Rubies shopping list
- 1 cup peeled and diced water chestnuts(1/4-inch dice) shopping list
- about 1 cup pomegranate juice or 1/4 tsp. red food coloring dissolved in 1 cup water, or 1 cup Torani raspberry syrup shopping list
- 1 cup tapioca flour shopping list
- 3-5 cups water shopping list
- 1 tsp. jasmine flavoring shopping list
- sugar syrup shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 tsp jasmine flavoring shopping list
- To Assemble shopping list
- 1/2 cup thick coconut cream, stirred with a pinch of salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup diced (1/4-inch)finger bananas (ninos) shopping list
- 4 cups shaved ice shopping list
How to make it
- to make the Rubies: Soak the diced water chestnuts in the pomegranate juice or colored water overnight., or until they are tinted rose-red. Drain well.
- Put the tapioca flour on a sheet of was paper and cump the water chestnuts onto it. Toss lightly until each piece is coated with flour. Shake off excess flour by placeing in a sieve.
- Bring the water with the jasmine flavoring to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Working in batches, add the water chestnuts to the boiling water and cook until the pink pieces float to the surface, about 1 minute.
- Remove the "rubies" with a sieve or skimmer and plunge into a bowl of cold water. Drain and refrigerate.(May be prepared 1 day ahead)
- To make the sugar syrup:
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Let cool, then add the jasmine flavoring. (may be prepared 2 days ahead)
- Assemble just before serving:
- Microwave the salted coconut cream for 15 seconds to smooth it out.
- Meanwhile, place the rubies in shallow ic cream dishes or pretty dessert bowls. Sprinkle with diced bananas. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons syrup over each serving. Top each with a dollop of the coconut cream. Cover each serving with about 1/2 to 1 cup shaved ice. Serve immediately.