chicken fried steakFrom dutchie326 5 years ago
- 4 (1/2 pound) beef cube steaks shopping list
- * 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- * 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- * 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- * 1 1/2 cups buttermilk shopping list
- * 1 egg shopping list
- * 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™) shopping list
- * 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- * 3 cups vegetable shortening for deep frying shopping list
- * shopping list
- * 1/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- * 4 cups milk shopping list
- * kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- * * shopping list
- * shopping list
- ** ** shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Pound the steaks to about 1/4-inch thickness
- . Place 2 cups offlour in a shallow bowl.
- Stir together the baking powder, baking
- soda, pepper, and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the
- buttermilk, egg, Tabasco Sauce, and garlic.
- Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour.
- Pat the flour onto the surface of each steak so they are
- completely coated with dry flour.
- Heat the shortening in a deep cast-iron skillet to 325 degrees F
- (165 degrees C).
- Fry the steaks until evenly golden brown, 3 to 5
- minutes per side. fried steaks on a plate with paper towels
- to drain.
- Drain the fat from the skillet, reserving 1/4 cup of the
- liquid and as much of the solid remnants as possible.
- Return the skillet to medium-low heat with the reserved oil. Whisk
- the remaining flour into the oil
- Scrape the bottom of the pan
- with a spatula to release solids into the gravy.
- Stir in the milk,
- raise the heat to medium, and bring the gravy to a simmer, cook
- until thick, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Spoon the gravy over the steaks to serve.
The Cookdutchie326 Parker, PA
The Rating2 people
Awesome recipe! My middle son would eat this morning, noon and night! Thanks for what looks to be a better recipe than the one I use!m11andrade in Kankakee loved it
These steaks sound so good! Thanks for posting this recipe. There's nothing better than a good chicken fried steak!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it