Green Bean and Dill SoupFrom rivet 6 years ago
- 6 stalks celery sliced really thin shopping list
- 1 bunch spring onions chopped fine shopping list
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley chopped fine shopping list
- 3 or 4 medium white potatoes diced with skin on (stay away from yukon golds or red skinned ones, the final clean green/white color combo is what you are looking for in the finished product) shopping list
- 1 LB fresh green beans shopping list
- 1/2-1 full stick butter or thereabouts shopping list
- 2-3 TBSP flour shopping list
- 1 Cup powdered milk shopping list
- 2 QTS water shopping list
- 2 TBSP sea salt shopping list
- 1 TSP white pepper ground shopping list
- 2 TBSP dill weed shopping list
- 2 cups sour cream (do not use low-fat/no-fat it clumps)(just eat less soup if you have to) shopping list
- dry sherry (grocery store Taylor works fine) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large skillet sautee onions and celery in butter. When almost translucent, sprinkle on flour. Once it starts to stick, transfer to large stock pot.
- Deglaze skillet with a generous splach of sherry and then pour this into stockpot.
- Add water, stir until blended then add powdered milk. Stir over medium heat.
- Add potatoes, salt, pepper, parsley, dill weed.
- Mix and simmer stirring often about 1/2 hour.
- Resist temptation to add bullion or stock at this point, as it may taste thin. No worries.
- Chop ends off green beans and then cut into 1-2 inch sections.
- Add green beans and sour cream to soup and fold in gently.
- Add about 1 cup sherry and stir, then simmer for about another 1/2 hour
- Let the flavors meld together. When green beans and potatoes are soft but not mushy it is ready.