Basic Pie CrustFrom fizzle3nat 8 years ago
- Single Crust: shopping list
- 1 1/3 c. flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 c. butter-flavor vegetable shortening shopping list
- 3 TBSP. ice water shopping list
- Double Crust: shopping list
- 2 c. flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 3/4 c. butter-flavor vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1/4 c. ice water shopping list
How to make it
- Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is uniform (mixture will be fairly coarse).
- Sprinkle with water, a tablespoon at a time; toss lightly with fork. When all water has been added, lightly press dough together with fingers into a ball. Tip #1 - DO NOT overwork the dough. To obtain a tender, flaky crust, keep a hands-OFF approach.
- Press dough into a flat circle with smooth edges. Tip #2 - roll the dough between two pieces of waxed paper. If the paper wrinkles as you roll the dough, lightly peel off the paper and re-position it. Flip, and do the same to the opposite side. This has an added benefit, as you will easily be able to place the dough in you pan - peel one side of the paper off, set your pie pan upside-down over the dough, and flip. Peel the other side of the paper off, and gently ease the crust into the pan.
- Top crust works the same way; remove one side of the paper, flip over onto the filling and remove the other paper. Fold edges under, seal, and crimp.
- To bake an empty shell, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prick bottom and sides with fork. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. To bake with filling, preheat oven to temperature stated in recipe. Do not prick crust. Bake according to recipe.
- Easy as pie! (I had to say it!)