Basil Pesto Pasta SaladFrom jena 8 years ago
- 3/4 cup pine nuts shopping list
- 2 medium cloves garlic , unpeeled shopping list
- table salt shopping list
- 1 pound farfalle (bow ties) pasta shopping list
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus 1 additional tablespoon shopping list
- 3 cups packed fresh basil leaves (about 4 ounces) shopping list
- 1 cup baby spinach (packed), about 1 ounce shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon shopping list
- 1 1/2 ounces finely grated parmesan cheese (about 3/4 cup), plus extra for serving shopping list
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise shopping list
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , quartered, or grape tomatoes, halved (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Bring 4 quarts water to rolling boil in large pot. Toast pine nuts in small dry skillet over medium heat, shaking pan occasionally, until just golden and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 2. When water is boiling, add garlic and let cook 1 minute. Remove garlic with slotted spoon and rinse under cold water to stop cooking; set aside to cool. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to water, stir to separate, and cook until tender (just past al dente). Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, drain pasta, toss with 1 tablespoon oil, spread in single layer on rimmed baking sheet, and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- 3. When garlic is cool, peel and mince or press through garlic press. Place 1/4 cup nuts, garlic, basil, spinach, pepper, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 cup oil, and 1 teaspoon salt in bowl of food processor and process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl as necessary. Add cheese and mayonnaise and process until thoroughly combined. Transfer mixture to large serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble salad.
- 4. When pasta is cool, toss with pesto, adding reserved pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until pesto evenly coats pasta. Fold in remaining 1/2 cup nuts and tomatoes (if using); serve.