Bengali-style aubergine cooked in yoghurtFrom capedread 4 years ago
- 400g/14oz baby aubergines, thinly sliced into rounds shopping list
- good pinch ground turmeric shopping list
- salt, to taste shopping list
- ½ tsp red chili powder shopping list
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 250ml/9fl oz plain yogurt shopping list
- 1-1½ tsp sugar shopping list
- 1 rounded tsp cumin seeds, toasted in a frying pan and ground in a clean coffee grinder or pestle and mortar shopping list
- handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped, to garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Dust the aubergine slices with the turmeric, salt and half the red chilli powder.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and fry the aubergine pieces until soft (you may have to do this in two batches). Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat 200ml/7fl oz of the yoghurt with the sugar, salt and the remaining red chilli powder.
- Pour into a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring often to stop it from splitting, for about five minutes.
- Stir in the ground cumin and the aubergine slices. Heat gently and stir to combine.
- Stir in the remaining yoghurt, check the seasoning and serve garnished with the fresh coriander.
The Cookcapedread Peterborough. Cambridgeshire, GB
The Rating1 people
Wow, I love aubergines and your recipe sounds delicious. I can't wait to try this. Thanks so much, hon - and high 5. :) Vickielunasea in Orlando loved it