Ginger Lemon CookiesFrom 55to64 7 years ago
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons finely grated, fresh ginger shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt shopping list
- 2 large egg yolks shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger shopping list
- 1 lightly beaten egg white shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl, combine butter, 3/4 cup sugar, ginger, lemon zest and salt. Cream mixture until well blended, about two to three minutes on medium speed. Scrape the bowl.
- Add yolks and vanilla. Mix until well blended, about 1 minute.
- Add flour. Shape tablespoons of dough into 1 inch balls and set them 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared cookies sheets.
- In a small, shallow dish, mix the crystallized ginger and the remaining 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- With the palm of your hand, press on the dough balls until about 1/4 inch thick and 2 inches in diameter.
- Brush tops with egg white and sprinkle with ginger sugar mixture.
- Press gently on the cookies with the bottom of a metal measuring cup to help the topping adhere.
- Bake until cookies are light brown on the bottom and around the edges, 11 to 13 minutes.
- Let cool for five minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
- When cool. Store in airtight containers.