Basic Carolina Yeast BiscuitsFrom midgelet 8 years ago
- 1 package yeast shopping list
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water shopping list
- 5 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup solid shortening (recommended: Crisco) lard for the brave at heart shopping list
- 2 cups buttermilk or as needed shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add yeast and buttermilk and mix well.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, knead briefly and roll out to desired thickness.
- Cut with small biscuit cutter and place on greased baking sheet.
- Use your knuckles to make an indentation on top of the dough
- ( Paula says this gives a homestyle look )
- Brush with melted butter.
- Paula uses a cast iron pan!
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Split biscuits open and ladle on chicken fried steak gravy!!!
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating4 people
These sound really good, a must to try. Thanks for sharing, you have my 5henrie in Savannah loved it
groan! Yum! What great biscuits gotta luvem cooked in Iorn skillet high5 plusmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Good To Freeze129 members
Southern Cooks561 members
Muffins, Quick Breads, Scones and Biscuits282 members
Pass Down Recipes314 members
Television TV Famous Chefs67 members
Breakfast Craze69 members
The Way To A Mans Heart61 members
Cooking With Buttermilk Lactaid Milk23 members
International Baking67 members