Vidalia Onion Pot RoastFrom chefmeow 8 years ago
- 4 pound brisket well trimmed shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons dry thyme shopping list
- 1 tablespoons dry rosemary shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 4 large vidalia onions peeled and sliced shopping list
- 1 cup dry red wine shopping list
- 3 carrots thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic shopping list
- 2 cups hot beef stock lightened with 1 cup water added shopping list
- 2 celery stalks tied with 3 bay leaves into a bouquet garni shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 then season brisket well with salt and pepper.
- Crush thyme and rosemary together with mortar and pestle and rub mix into beef coating evenly.
- Rub beef well with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Heat a large sauté pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add beef to hot pan and sear well on one side until browned then turn and sever other side.
- When beef has been well browned on both sides remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions to sauté pan and cook until golden brown then add wine and reduce by half.
- Pour onions into large roasting pan and spread evenly across bottom before putting beef on top.
- Add carrots, garlic, hot beef water and celery bundle to beef and place uncovered into the oven.
- All the combined liquid should rise only 2/3 as high as the meat is thick.
- Add additional water to maintain the braising liquid height.
- Cook 1 hour before turning beef over then cook second side uncovered for 1 hour.
- Cover pan with a cover or foil and turn oven down to 325.
- Continue slowly braising brisket for 2 hours.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
The Rating1 people
Bookmarked to try when vidalias are back in season and with a venison roast instead of the beef. The herb and wine combination sound like it will be tasty and tender. Thank you for sharing. High-five!angelinaw in St Louis loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!