Home Made Baked BeansFrom mr_rob 8 years ago
- 1 pound dried great northern beans shopping list
- 1 pound bacon, chopped shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 jalapenos, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup tomato paste shopping list
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup molasses shopping list
- vegetable broth shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt shopping list
How to make it
- Soak beans in a plastic container overnight in just enough cold water to submerge them completely.
- the next day..............
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Place a cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat and stir in the bacon, onion, and jalapenos until enough fat has rendered from the bacon to soften the onions, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, dark brown sugar, and molasses.
- Drain the beans and reserve the soaking liquid.
- Add the drained beans to the Dutch oven.
- Place the soaking liquid in a measuring cup and add enough vegetable broth to equal 4 cups of liquid.
- Add the liquid to the Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Add in cayenne, black pepper and salt.
- Give them a stir and cover with the lid.
- Place the Dutch oven in the oven for 6 to 8 hours, or until the beans are tender.
The Cookmr_rob St Cloud, MN
The Rating3 people
Sounds like this might really work. Most of the baked bean recipes that I have tried are disappointing but this looks great. Thanksdragonwings647 in Duchesne loved it
This is da bomb. I love that it has just enough pepper and spice to keep it interesting. Good stuff.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!