Smoked Trout With Brown Sugar Dated 1936From chefmeow 5 years ago
How to make it
- Clean fish and rinse well under cold water.
- Mix salt, brown sugar, pepper and bay leaf.
- Pat fish dry and rub inside and out with seasoning mixture.
- Place fish in a cool dry place for 1 hour.
- Rinse fish and hang from gills in a cool dry breezy place to air dry for 30 minutes.
- Place wood chips in water to soak.
- While fire is burning down loop a piece of kitchen string under gills of each trout.
- Bring ends of string through vent holes of grill cover.
- Tie together so fish are suspended from lid and tails remain at least 6” above coals.
- When coals have burned down and covered with ash sprinkle 1/3 chips over fire.
- Place lid on grill then smoke trout 1 hour adding more chips every 20 minutes.
- Remove fish and serve hot or at room temperature.