Oriental Seaweed SoupFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 1 1/2 oz of dried wakame seaweed shopping list
- 1 carrot shredded or coarse grated shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic minced shopping list
- 1 shallot fine chopped shopping list
- 1 small piece of ginger fine grated shopping list
- 3 Tbs oriental rice wine vinegar shopping list
- 3 Tbs soy sauce shopping list
- 2 tsp sugar shopping list
- 1 Tbs oriental sesame seed oil shopping list
- 4 dried shitake mushrooms, reconstituted shopping list
- 6 to 8 cups of water or vegetable broth shopping list
- cooked oriental noodles of choice shopping list
How to make it
- Cut dried seaweed into manageable pieces as they are quite long.
- Soak in water about 5 minutes or softened as you like.
- Rinse well and squeeze out excess moisture from seaweed.
- In a soup pot place the ginger, carrots, garlic and shallot with vinegar, soy sauce , sesame and sugar.
- Cook and stir over medium heat just to soften ingredients.
- Add the water or broth, enough to cover by a few inches,add reconstituted dried mushrooms and seaweed and bring to a boil and then simmer about 10 minutes.
- Correct seasonings if desired.
- To serve: add noodles to bowl and ladle in some of the seaweed soup.
- No extra salt is added as the seaweed and soy sauce have enough to flavor soup.
- Note: there are a variety of dried seaweeds but wakame is great for making seaweed soup and seaweed salad and is very healthy