St Frances RoastFrom youngberg 8 years ago
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, cut 1" pieces shopping list
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, cut 1" pieces shopping list
- 1 large onion, sliced in thin rings shopping list
- 1.5 cups water shopping list
- 1 (10 oz) can beef broth shopping list
- 1 envelop Lipton beef onion soup shopping list
- 1 packet Good seasons Itatian dressing shopping list
- 3 whole peppercorns shopping list
- whole garlic, peeled shopping list
- 3.5 lbs. beef pot roast (chuck, rump, round) shopping list
- 2 to 4 Tbsp. flour shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Spray bottom of slow cooker with cooking spray. Place vegetables (firmly so they fit) in bottom of cooker.
- Mix remaining 6 ingredients and pour over vegetables. (omitting beef, flour, salt and pepper)
- Rinse and dry roast. Place flour and season with salt and pepper into a large plate and dredge roast in seasoned flour on all edges.
- Sear roast in a medium high pan on all sides (~3 mins on each side) until a nice burnt color appears (this adds to the flavor).
- Place seared roast on top of vegetables and cover.
- Cook for 9 to 10 hours on low. Choose a longer time vs a shorter time- if at all possible for a successful fall-of-the-fork, tenderness.
- Take vegetables and roast out of slow cooker and cover with foil and keep in warm oven.
- To prepare for gravy; drain remaining liquid through a collander and skim off fat (that rises to the surface). Place skimmed liquid back into crockpot and place on high. Depending on how much liquid you have- add 1 teaspoon (sm amt) to 1 tablespoon (lrg amt) of flour and whisk. Let cook for 10-15 minutes while you prepare for the other items in your meal (set the table, put crescent rolls in the oven, open the red wine... you know).
- To serve: place vegetables and meat on a large plater and accompany with gravy.