Navy Bean SoupFrom koakes 6 years ago
- 1 pound navy beans or Large lima beans, picked over and rinsed, drained shopping list
- 10 sprigs parsley shopping list
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or rosemary shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- Left over ham bone or 2 Large smoked ham hocks, 1.5 lbs shopping list
- 1 med onion, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 8 cups cold water shopping list
- 1 med carrot, coarsely chopped shopping list
- kosher salt and grounf black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Place beans in large saucepan and cover with cold water by about 2 inches. Bring to boil and lower the heat to simmer.
- Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat. Cover and let sit for 1 hour. Drain and reserve liquid.
- In large soup pot or dutch oven combine beans, herbs, ham, onion, carrot and garlic with water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat so soup is at a low simmer. Cook until the beans and hocks (or meat on bone) are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn off heat and remove hocks, cool slightly. Remove meat and discard fat, skin and bones. Cut into small cubes.
- Remove herbs
- Puree 3 cups of bean mixture in blender and add back to soup with meat.
- Heat soup and add salt & pepper to taste.
The Cookkoakes Riverside, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!