Hearty Healthy Chicken Rice SoupFrom hikergirl 6 years ago
- 2 1/4 cup water (to cook rice) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon butter shopping list
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (2 cups cooked), shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 yellow pepper, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped shopping list
- 16 oz. (about 2 1/2 cups) sliced or chopped chrimini mushrooms shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 6 or 7 cups low sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme (or 1 tablespoon dried thyme) shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 3 6 oz. cooked, cubed chicken breast (about 3 cups)(I used some chicken breasts that I had grilled, with salt and pepper and frozen). shopping list
How to make it
- Put the rice, water and butter in a covered saucepan and cook according to directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven (or other large pot) on medium heat.
- Put in each vegetable, stir, in order and let soften for a minute or so before the next vegetable. Add salt and pepper.
- After putting in the mushrooms, cook and stir for about 5 minute until the mushrooms are dark and have released most of their moisture.
- Add the dry white wine and let reduce (about 6 or 7 minutes).
- Add the thyme and the chicken broth and let come to a simmer.
- Add the water and let it come back up to a simmer.
- Total cooking time should be about the same as the rice (about 50 min., so my times could be off).
- Add the rice and the chicken and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve with crackers or yummy crusty bread.