Bacon-Wrapped DatesFrom lilchef7 5 years ago
- 1 lb of bacon shopping list
- 1 lb or 1 container of pitted dates (I prefer Medjool) shopping list
- 1 can smoked almonds shopping list
- 1 container blue cheese crumbles shopping list
- For Dipping Sauce: shopping list
- 1 c balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 1 c red wine (use Spanish if you can!) shopping list
- 1 c Splenda or sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375. Stuff one smoked almond into each date. You must buy pitted dates for this reason.
- Wrap each almond-stuffed date with 1/3 to 1/2 a slice of bacon, depending on the size of the bacon and dates. Wrap tightly, place on ungreased baking sheet in single layer. You can use toothpicks if you like to hold them together, but usually if you wrap them tight enough the toothpicks are not needed.
- Bake until bacon is crisp, about 10 mins each side. Every time I have made this, the oven time has varied greatly, so check your bacon!
- Next, bring vinegar, wine, and sugar to a boil, boil 1 minute then reduce. Sauce should have a syrupy consistency, but it should not be too thick. If it is too strong or not sweet enough, or you can't get it to reduce down after about 10 minutes, add honey and whisk it in.
- Serve dates on a platter (or paper plates, who cares!?), and sprinkle blue cheese on top while hot. If you are using a toothpick, you can make them fancier by adding some blue cheese to each toothpick. Serve sauce on the side, or pour over.
- **You can stuff the dates with almonds and wrap with bacon in advance, just keep refrigerated until needed.**
The Cooklilchef7 Atlanta
The Rating4 people
I love these.. My cousin makes them every year for xmas eve dinner. I have not had them with blue cheese or the sauce but both sound like a great addition.. thanks for sharing.. Jimjimrug1 in Peoria loved it
I love Spanish Tapas style recipes and these sound wonderful with the bacon.
I posted a similar recipe with goat cheese.
Five forks and a big smile :)trigger in loved it
We have a favorite tapas restaraunt here that features these as one of their most popular items. This recipe hit the button spot on! Now instead of paying $6 for 4 of them. I can pay less that $15 for 30. Fantastic!jadavis702 in las vegas loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!