Meat Loaf with Red Wine GlazeFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- 2 slices of white sandwich bread, torn into pieces shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 large egg yolk shopping list
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped sage shopping list
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme shopping list
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt shopping list
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- Pinch of cayenne pepper shopping list
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 pound ground lamb shopping list
- 1/2 pound ground pork shopping list
- 1/2 pound ground veal shopping list
- vegetable oil, for brushing shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups dry red wine shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tomato, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 teaspoon unsulfured molasses shopping list
- Pinch of ground allspice shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread pieces with the milk and mash to a paste.
- Add the whole egg, egg yolk, chopped parsley, sage, thyme, salt, black pepper, nutmeg and cayenne and stir until smooth.
- Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano and dry bread crumbs and stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, 1 minute longer.
- Let cool, then transfer to the bowl.
- Add the lamb, pork and veal and knead until evenly combined.
- Brush a medium oval baking dish with oil.
- Transfer the meat loaf mixture to the dish and pat it into a 4-by-12-inch oval loaf.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until firm but not quite cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the red wine with the sugar, chopped tomato, molasses and allspice and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Boil until the glaze is thick and syrupy, about 15 minutes.
- Brush half of the glaze over the meat loaf.
- Continue baking for about 20 minutes longer, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 150°; brush once more with the remaining glaze during baking.
- Let the meat loaf rest for 15 minutes, then thickly slice and serve.
- Make Ahead
- The meat loaf recipe can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight.
- Bake before serving.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating4 people
;ove redwine over roast so know over meatloaf delicous.Love everything about this recipe thanks high55555555555555555555555555555555555momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Mmmmmmmm! Never would have thought of this and marked as unique. Sounds like a "move up" the list of things to try! ^5 and thanks, midge!
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
way to a man's heart !herby in Albany loved it