Spinach and Bean PattiesFrom themissiah 8 years ago
- 1 can of pinto beans shopping list
- 1 can of chopped spinach shopping list
- oatmeal to bind shopping list
- 1 chopped onion - if desired shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped or minced shopping list
- salt and pepper (to taste) shopping list
- vegetable oil (safflower, or any other basic frying vegetable will work) shopping list
How to make it
- You drain (VERY well) a can of pinto beans and a can of spinach. Get as much of the liquid out as possible. I put both in a mesh strainer. I press the spinach until most of the liquid is out. I wash the canned beans just to get most of the thick can liquid off.
- Mix beans and spinach and then add a couple of cloves of garlic, salt & pepper to taste, and oatmeal to bind. If using onion, add it now. Add the oatmeal until stiff patties can be formed.
- Mush the mixture with your hands (wear gloves if you want - it is messy) or a potato masher.
- Pour about a quarter inch of oil in a pan and heat. Form the patties (about a half to an inch thick) and fry on each side until they darken and harden a bit. The middle will remain relatively soft.
- You can enjoy these plain, with hot sauce, or steak sauce - whatever your pleasure. Or you can put these on buns or bread and enjoy as a burger.
- Add more spices if desired - you can play around with this recipe. Sometimes I add nutritional yeast for an even nuttier flavor and extra benefits.
- These patties can also be baked - just drizzle oil and place on a greased cookie sheet or pan. Bake at about 400 degrees until each side is browned. You will need to flip them halfway through.