Homemade Vanilla SugarFrom annieamie 7 years ago
- 1 pound of granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 vanilla beans shopping list
- *See note below for larger quantity shopping list
- You can also make vanilla sugar with powdered sugar. Imagine a nice light dusting of vanilla sugar over some French toast or freshly made danish, muffins or even a warm lemon poundcake. shopping list
How to make it
- Pour your sugar into an airtight container and slip the two fresh, whole vanilla beans into the center of the sugar and cover with the sugar.
- Seal the jar and store it for at least one complete week.
- You can use the sugar at this time for almost anything. The longer you leave the beans in, the more intense the flavor will be. You can always reuse the beans for up to six months. That's all there is to making Vanilla Sugar.
- The photo above was borrowed from bakingbites.com
- Note... Try to find fresh, pliable and very fragrant vanilla beans. I once purchased some beans on Ebay which were dry and not very fragrant. I was disappointed with the purchase. I'd like to suggest that you check out the Vendors on Amazon.com. They have really fresh vanilla beans and great prices, too.
- You can slice up your bean and use the seeds but why waste a good bean when you can use it for several months? After several months of making this sugar, you'll still be able to use the beans in other recipes.
- *For a five pound bag of sugar, I generally use only five or six beans.
- Do NOT put your beans into the refrigerator. Keep them in an airtight baggie or jar in a dark cabinet in your kitchen to maintain the fragrance and pliability of the bean.
- Save up some cute bottles and fill with the sugar, adding a whole or half of a vanilla bean to the bottle. These are great when added to gift baskets with a tea, cocoa or coffee or baking theme!
The Cookannieamie Los Angeles, US
The Rating3 people
So this is all it takes to make vanilla sugar? Dang, girl! I had no idea. I've been buying this expensive Vanilla sugar at Gelsons for years. I feel so inadequate!!! Ok Ok, I'm gonna put this together and will make some thanks to you!cinnamon in Beverly Hills loved it
Why, thank you, Annie! I kept your e-mail with instructions, but now I can just bookmark this along with the beautiful picture! Whole Foods is about 1 hr. away from me, but it's on my list to get over there and get those beans! I really do appreciate...morejuels in Clayton loved it
this is wonderful i just love vanilla i have a recipe for the homemade vanilla like.. extract its yummy too thank you annie...........
tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Cookin Moms348 members
Back To Basics347 members
Quick N Easy123 members
Anything Goes288 members
FROM SCRATCH148 members
Dont Knock It Till You Try It74 members
Tried And True Recipes40 members
Homemade Condiments And Sauces200 members
A Tea Party71 members
Cheap N Easy53 members