Barbecued corned beefFrom notyourmomma 8 years ago
- 1 4-5 lb. front cut corned beef brisket shopping list
- 1 onion, quartered skin left on shopping list
- 1 carrot cut in chunks, unpeeled shopping list
- 2 stalks of celery broken in half shopping list
- handful of black peppercorns shopping list
- 1/4 cup of Dijon mustard shopping list
- 2 tbsp of horseradish shopping list
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tbsp of white vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of grated garlic shopping list
- 1/3 cup of red jalapeno jelly-zapped for 30 seconds in microwave shopping list
How to make it
- In a large dutch oven, cover the rinsed brisket with water, add onion, carrot, celery and peppercorns.
- Simmer until tender, about 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ingredients for the glaze-mustard, horseradish, sugar, vinegar, garlic and jalapeno jelly.
- Set aside.
- When the brisket is done, drain and dry thoroughly.
- Brush with the glaze and put on a oiled hot grill, about 5 inches from the flame.
- Baste frequently.
- The meat can also be run under the broiler and glazed a few times as an alternate method of cooking. About five minutes per side under the broiler.
- Be prepared for the meat to catch fire and blacken, it is okay. Sugar will burn, but that is what tastes so good.
- To serve, slice thin against the grain.