Blarnopitta - Sausages And Leeks Baked In Phyllo With Some Cheese TooFrom alisdhair 4 years ago
- FOR THE PITTES: shopping list
- 5 large leeks shopping list
- 2 lbs. of any good sagely seasoned sausage, in link formation shopping list
- 1 ½ cups of some kind of Irish Cheddar shopping list
- ¼ cup of flat leaf parsley shopping list
- fresh garlic shopping list
- salt and black pepper shopping list
- Phyllo dough* shopping list
- WEE CHILD HAROLD'S mustard SAUCE shopping list
- 1 cup of the sourest cream on the market shopping list
- ¼ cup of very spicey Dijon style mustard shopping list
- 1 oz. of Scotch whiskey shopping list
- 2 tbls. of thyme honey shopping list
- 1 tbls. of finely chopped fresh rosemary (very finely chopped) shopping list
- A pinch o’salt shopping list
How to make it
- FOR THE PIES:
- *It would be all the wiser to prepare your own homemade phyllo type dough for this preparation, however for the sake of simplicity, use a commercially made product. If you do so, figure about five leaves of the dough for each of these fine pies.
- Grill the sausages over an open flame if at all possible, if not sear them in a sauté pan, and be sure to be sure now, that they are nicely charred. Cut them into thin slices.
- Cut the leeks at a very sharp and short angle (they call this "on the bias" on the Food Network). The garlic should be finely minced and the parsley need only be roughly chopped.
- Heat 4 – 6 tbls. of unsalted butter in a thick bottomed sauté pan and cook the leeks until they have turned a nice medium brown hue. Add the garlic and cook a minute more before adding the sausage and cook further for 2-3 minutes. Turn this out into a mixing bowl.
- Add the grated cheese and the parsley. Season with the salt and pepper.
- For each pie, make five layers of the phyllo dough, buttered lightly in between. Having divided the filling in to sixths lay a spread of it over the dough and roll them into six fat eggroll type shapes. Bake them at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes.
- MUSTARD SAUCE:
- I don’t think there is any need to elaborate on the mode of preparation for the mustard sauce.
- TO SERVE:
- Concoct a slaw made from cabbage, of course, green kale to a lesser extent and some carrots - This should be seasoned sharply so as to give balance to the dish. Cut each pie in half and serve it on the same plate with the slaw and the sauce on the side.