French Onion SoupFrom kmsmith 7 years ago
- 1/4 cup butter shopping list
- 3 onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon white sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups water shopping list
- 1 tsp worcestershire shopping list
- 1/2 cup red wine shopping list
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed beef broth shopping list
- 1 french baguette shopping list
- 8 ounces sliced swiss cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Melt butter or margarine in a 4 quart saucepan. Stir in sugar. Cook onions over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Stir in flour until well blended with the onions and pan juices. Add water, wine, and beef broth; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover soup, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut four 1 inch thick slices of bread from the loaf. Toast the bread slices at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) just until browned, about 10 minutes. Reserve the remaining bread to serve with the soup.
- Ladle soup into four 12 ounce, oven-safe bowls. Place 1 slice toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl. Fold Swiss cheese slices, and fit onto toasted bread slices. Place soup bowls on a cookie sheet for easier handling.
- Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes, or just until cheese is melted