Best Ever Vegan Black Bean SoupFrom yellowarcher 8 years ago
- 2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 Medium onion (Half diced, half chopped) shopping list
- 2-3 cloves garlic (Minced) shopping list
- 1/2" ginger Root (Diced - approx 1/2 tsp) shopping list
- 2 tsp cumin (Ground) shopping list
- 2 1/2 tsp coriander (Ground) shopping list
- 1 1/2 Cups of chickenless broth (I use Imagine Foods No-Chicken) shopping list
- 1/2 Cup of salsa (any kind will do - I tend to use Pancho's) shopping list
- 1-2 limes-worth of juice (depending on taste) shopping list
- 4 15oz Cans of black beans (Drained, Rinsed) shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over high heat for a few seconds (it should run like water when you swish it around). Add onion, garlic, and ginger root.
- After a couple of seconds, add in the spices.
- Saute until the chopped onion turns translucent
- Add the chickenless broth, the salsa, and the lime juice. Stir everything a bit and then bring to a boil.
- Add the black beans and stir again to mix everything, then turn down the heat to bring it to a simmer.
- Allow the soup to simmer for 20-30 minutes. It should get a little thick, but not terribly so.
- Once it looks like a good consistency, give it a taste and add salt and pepper if needed (I normally don't need any salt at all).
- Now, here's where things become a matter of personal taste. It drives my boyfriend crazy that I don't stick half of it in the blender, so if a blended-style soup is what you want here, go ahead and do that. When you serve this, if you're of the vegetarian rather than vegan persuasion, go ahead and put out some shredded cheddar cheese and some plain yogurt (or some sour cream - but I recommend the yogurt!). If you're vegan, feel free to use your favorite fake cheese and soygurt, but I personally haven't found versions of either that I can both afford AND enjoy.