Split Pea SoupFrom marmay 8 years ago
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/8 cup good olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots (3 to 4 carrots) shopping list
- 3/4 cup of cooked barley shopping list
- 1 pound dried split green peas shopping list
- 8 cups of low sodium chicken stock or water shopping list
How to make it
- In a 4-quart stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with the olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper until the onions are translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots, all of split peas, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered
- Skim off the foam while cooking.
- simmer for about 60 minutes
- when peas are soft use an immersion blender to puree peas, not too much just a bit to get thick
- add cooked barley, kosher salt and pepper if needed
- break out the rye bread and ladle i