CHICKEN ENCHILADASFrom coffeebean53 8 years ago
- Filling: shopping list
- 3 c. water shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- Dash black pepper shopping list
- 1 onion, quartered shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 pound, skinless chicken pieces (I use thigh meat) shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. Mexican blend shredded cheese, divided shopping list
- 1/2 c. Chopped onion shopping list
- 1 green Chile, diced shopping list
- Sauce: shopping list
- 2/3 c. milk (I use 2/3 c. Cooled chicken broth with milk powder added) shopping list
- 1/4 c. Chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 (11oz) can tomatillos, drained shopping list
- 1 (4.5oz) can diced green Chiles, undrained shopping list
- Remaining ingredients: shopping list
- 8 (6") corn tortillas shopping list
- 2/3 c. sour cream shopping list
How to make it
- To prepare filling, place the first 6 ingredients in a large pot; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Remove chicken from cooking liquid; saving liquid to use in softening tortillas, cool. Remove chicken from bones; shred with 2 forks. Discard bones.
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Combine chicken, 3/4 c. Of shredded cheese, chopped onion, and diced green Chile in a bowl, set aside.
- To prepare sauce, place milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through Chiles) in a blender and blend until smooth.
- To prepare tortillas, fill medium skillet with 1" of reserved chicken broth; bring to a simmer. Dip 1 tortillas in using tongs to soften. Spoon 1/2 c. Filling in center of tortilla, roll tightly and place in an 11"x7" baking dish. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Pour sauce over enchiladas. Cover and bake at 375* for 20 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes, uncovered, until cheese melts. Top with sour cream.
- Serve with shredded lettuce and Salsa Verde