Basic Cream Pie FillingFrom whodunitrdr 7 years ago
How to make it
- Bring 3 cups water and sugar to a boil in a saucepan.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients with a whisk until smooth.
- When the sugar syrup has come to a boil and the sugar is completely dissolved, add the milk mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with the whisk until the mixture thickens (only takes a few minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in your favorite flavoring or use plain for vanilla cream pie or pudding.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Chill and top pie with whipped cream, if desired, when cold.
- Makes enough for one pie.
- Variations:( Add to hot pudding)
- German Chocolate - stir in 1 cup chocolate chips, top with german chocolate cake frosting and whipped cream.
- Dark Chocolate - stir in 1 cup chopped dark chocolate, such as Hershey's special dark.
- Peanut Butter - stir in 1 cup peanut butter.
- Banana - stir in 2 sliced bananas and 1/4 teaspoon banana extract.
- Coconut - stir in 1 cup coconut and 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract.
- Pina Colada - stir in 1/2 cup coconut and 1/2 cup well drained crushed pineapple.
- Rum raisin - stir in 1 cup raisins and 1 teaspoon rum extract.
- Reese's - stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup peanut butter.
- Banana split - stir in 1 chopped banana, 1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple, 1/2 cup sliced strawberries. Top with whipped cream and drizzle with chocolate sauce and chopped nuts.
- Stir in anything else that sounds good.