Korean Spicy Beef And Vegetable Soup Yukgae JangFrom littlesponger 6 years ago
- 1.5 lbs beef brisket or Beef Loin Tri Tip shopping list
- 1 bundle large green onion (Leek?) shopping list
- 3 green onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 bag 912oz.) green bean-sprouts shopping list
- 6 oz. dried toran stem - korean vegetable shopping list
- 6 oz. Kosari (Korean mountain vegetable. Fern Brakets) shopping list
- 7 cloves garlic (3 Tbsp minced garlic) shopping list
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil shopping list
- 2 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1/3 cup soy sauce, more or less to taste (Guk kanjang) shopping list
- 1/3 cup Korean hot pepper flakes shopping list
How to make it
- Put beef in a cold water to draw out blood from the beef about 1 hour. Discard water.
- Place trimmed beef in a large stockpot with enough water to cover and bring to a boil; then simmer for 3 hours. remove the cooked beef from the pot. torn the beef in length by hand.
- Remove pot from heat, cool and refrigerate overnight.
- The following day, remove any solidified fat from the soup base.
- Soak in dried toran in warm water; leave 30 minutes.
- Discard water from toran; boil with hot water (2 cups) until it gets softer, then squeeze water out, cut into 3 inch length.
- If you are using fresh kosari (fern); boil in hot water (2cups) until it gets softer, then squeeze water out, cut into 3 inch length. If you purchased dried ones, soak in dried kosari in warm water over night, then boil kosari for thirty minutes until tender.
- Boil 2 cups water; add bean sprout ; boil slightly, then pour into colander, rinse with cold water. squeeze water out.
- Boil 2 cup water; add green onions (3 inches length), then boil slightly; remove from the heat, pour into the colander, rinse with cold water.
- Mix beef, toran, kosari, bean sprout and minced garlic, chopped green onions, soy sauce, dried red pepper flakes, sesame seed oil: mix well.
- Preheat the big pot; add olive oil, then add the above mixed ingredients and saute about 5 minutes; then add soup base & boil the soup.
- Add red pepper flakes, salt or soy sauce to taste.
- Serve with rice.