Pickled Eggs And BeetsFrom chefmeow 8 years ago
How to make it
- In 2 quart saucepan place eggs and enough cold water to cover eggs by 1”.
- Heat to boiling over high heat then immediately remove saucepan from heat and cover tightly.
- Allow to stand 15 minutes then pour off hot water and run cold water over eggs to cool.
- Remove shells from eggs then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile trim tops from beets leaving 1” stems attached.
- Scrub beets well under cold running water.
- Place whole beets and enough water to cover then heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low then cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup beet cooking liquid then drain beets well.
- Immediately remove beet skins under cold running water and slice beets.
- Place whole eggs in medium bowl and layer sliced beets on top of eggs.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and reserved beet cooking liquid then heat to boiling over high heat.
- Pour vinegar mixture over eggs and beets.
- With spoon gently turn eggs occasionally for even color until egg and beet mixture is cool.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours.