Tofu Sloppy JoesFrom fizzle3nat 6 years ago
- 1 TBSP. olive oil shopping list
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu, well-drained and crumbled or diced shopping list
- 2 TBSP. soy sauce shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 TBSP. chili powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin shopping list
- 2 TBSP. barbecue sauce (my addition - optional, but will add a slight sweetness that you find in canned sloppy joe sauce) shopping list
- Burger buns, rolls, or bagels; split and toasted shopping list
How to make it
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, bell pepper, and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tofu and soy sauce and cook, stirring often, until tofu begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, and (if using) barbecue sauce. Cook, stirring until heated through and flavors are well blended, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon over toasted buns and serve hot.
The Cookfizzle3nat Waterville, WA
The Rating5 people
Never one to go in circles or draw out a topic myself, I guess I can sit through a long drawn out explanation. The recipe sounds very good, I would not have thought of using Tofu. We have used TVP of the "meat" in sloppy Joes. I don't know if rehydra...moremark555 in Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World loved it
I use the TVP, frozen. I rehydrate with a bit of wine and Bragg's amino liquid. Husband can't tell the difference and I feel better about his cholesterol level with tofu sloppies, or tofu tacos.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
I do lots of tofu stuff for my vege relatives. Very nice recipe!midgelet in Eastern loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!