African Vegetable Soup With CoconutFrom omshivs 9 years ago
- 2 T vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 large onion shopping list
- 175 g / 6 oz each turnip, sweet potato and pumpkin, peeled and cubed shopping list
- 1 t marjoram shopping list
- 1 1/2 t each ground ginger and cinnamon shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 T chopped spring onion 1.2 L / 2 pints vegetable stock 2 T flaked almonds shopping list
- 1-2 fresh chilli de-seeded and chopped shopping list
- 1 t unrefined sugar shopping list
- 115 g / 4 oz creamed coconut shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan heat the oil, add the onion and cook it gently for 4-5 minutes. Add the cubed vegetables and toss them over a medium heat for a further 5-6 minutes. Add the marjoram, ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper and cook together over a low heat for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the spring onion, stock, flaked almonds, chilli and sugar and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are just tender. Check the seasoning. Grate the creamed coconut into the soup and stir well. Garnish with chopped coriander or parsley and serve.