Australian Chicken and Avocado SaladFrom dianartimus 5 years ago
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts shopping list
- 4 carrots peeled & sliced shopping list
- 4 celery stalks cleaned sliced shopping list
- 4 zucchini cleaned & sliced shopping list
- 1 large sweet onion, trimmed, peeled & halved & each half quartered shopping list
- 2 large ripe avocados (Haas or bacon are good) peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 C extra virgin olive oil (just keep the bottle handy) shopping list
- 4 T balsamic vinegar shopping list
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt to taste shopping list
- 2 generous sprigs of parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Hint - for ease, cook chicken the day before, cover and chill in fridge.
- Fill a large 6 quart stock pot half full of water and put on the stove set on high to boil, cover. While this is boiling then...
- In a deep skillet put 2 T olive oil, add the chicken breasts and sprinkle with a little Lawry's seasoned salt and turn heat on low to simmer, set timer to 15 minutes. When timer rings, turn chicken breasts and set timer for another 15 minutes.
- Fill 2 large pitchers with very cold water and set aside.
- Peel, clean and slice all vegetables keeping them in separate bowls for each.
- Parboil veggies in steps by: Adding carrots and celery to boiling water first, boil on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes or till carrots can be pierced by a fork but are still firm (almost hard) then add onion, cook about 3 minutes and add zucchini and cook for 3-5 minutes more till zucchini is tender but firm.
- Immediately pour vegetables into colander and pour cold water over to stop them from cooking. Use a large steel spoon to gently turn veggies and pour more cold water over vegetables till they are barely warm. This parboils the vegetables and they should be very brightly colored as this enhances the colors of the vegetables. If you did this correctly, the vegetables should be firm to the bite, not soft or mushy. Set cool veggies aside.
- Test chicken for doneness, chicken should be well cooked but still firm. Remove chicken from pan to a plate to cool for about 1 hour.
- When chicken is cool and easy to handle, slice each breast against the grain in 1/3 inch slices and cut those in half and dump the chicken into your largest mixing bowl, add all the cold drained vegetables, the diced avocadoes and sprinkle lightly with Lawry's seasoned salt, add olive oil and balsamic vinegar and mix ingredients well. The avocados "melt" a bit to blend in with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Ladle into a large oval serving platter and garnish each end with a sprig of parsley. Serve with warm French bread, a good Chardonnay, family and good friends.