Three-cheese ManicottiFrom dariana 8 years ago
- 1/4 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil shopping list
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up shopping list
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed shopping list
- 1 small bay leaf shopping list
- 8 dried manicotti shells shopping list
- 2 beaten eggs shopping list
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces) shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese or cream-style cottage cheese shopping list
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh parsley shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed shopping list
- Dash pepper shopping list
How to make it
- For sauce, in a 2-quart saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, the 1 teaspoon oregano, the thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse shells in cold water.
- For filling, in a medium mixing bowl stir together eggs, half of the mozzarella cheese, the ricotta or cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, the 1/2 teaspoon oregano, and dash pepper. Spoon filling into manicotti.
- Pour half of the tomato mixture into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange stuffed manicotti in the baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over shells. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese atop.
- Bake the stuffed manicotti, covered, in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through. Makes 8 servings.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare as above, except do not bake. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Bake as above.