Sun-Dried Tomato and Feta Stuffed ArtichokesFrom peetabear 7 years ago
- Stuffing shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups coarse dry whole-wheat dry breadcrumbs (see Note) shopping list
- 1 cup finely crumbled feta cheese shopping list
- 2/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- artichokes shopping list
- 4 large artichokes (2 1/2-3 1/2 pounds total) shopping list
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2. To prepare stuffing: Combine breadcrumbs, feta, tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt, pepper and oil in a medium bowl.
- 3. To prepare artichokes: Cut off the top 1 inch of leaves from an artichoke. Remove the outer layer of small, tough leaves from the stem end. Snip all remaining spiky tips from the outer leaves. Cut off the stem to make a flat bottom. (Discard the stem.) Starting at the outer layers and progressing inward, pull the leaves apart to loosen. Pull open the leaves at the center until you see the spiky, lighter leaves around the heart. Pull out those lighter leaves to expose the fuzzy choke. Scoop out the choke with a melon baller or grapefruit spoon and discard. Repeat this step with the remaining artichokes.
- 4. Spoon 1/2 cup stuffing into the center of an artichoke. Stuff an additional 1/2 cup stuffing between the outer leaves, toward the base, using a small spoon. Repeat with the remaining artichokes and stuffing. Divide any remaining stuffing among the artichokes.
- 5. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth and lemon juice; bring to a simmer. Carefully stand the artichokes upright in the pan. Drizzle each artichoke with 1 teaspoon oil.
- 6. Cover, transfer the pot to the oven and bake until tender when pierced down through the center with a knife, about 50 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the stuffing is slightly browned, about 10 minutes more. Remove from the braising liquid and serve. Use the braising liquid for dipping if desired.