Drumstick CurryFrom petoo 5 years ago
- 400gm - fresh drumsticks (not too tender or toomatured) shopping list
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced (1/2") shopping list
- 1 tsp "punchforan" (mix of 5 common Indian full seed spices consisting of equal volumes of fenugreek, mustard, cumin, kalaunji, and azwain) shopping list
- 1 full dry redchilli broken into 2 pieces shopping list
- 1 tsp red chili powder shopping list
- 1 tsp coriander seed powder shopping list
- 1 tsp turmeric powder shopping list
- 2 tsp mustard seed paste shopping list
- 1 large tomato chopped shopping list
- 2 cup water shopping list
- 2 tbsp oil shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Cut drumsticks into finger's length pieces (2-1/2"). Remove some of the outer hard fibres of the sticks to expose the inner soft layer.
- Place the "kadai" (Indian style deep frying pan) on stove on medium flame and wait a few seconds for the pan to heat up.
- Pour oil in the kadai to heat up till some fumes start appearing.
- Put "panchforan" and dry red chili pieces. Wait for a few seconds for the seeds to crackle.
- Add potato chunks and drumstick fingers and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and stir fry for another 1 minute.
- Add garlic paste (or crushed skinned garlic) and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add red chili powder and coriander seed powder and stir fry for another 1 minute.
- Sprinkle some water while stir frying so that the curry does not burn.
- Add chopped tomato and keep stirring the mix till tomato becomes soft.
- Add water bring to boil. Add mustard seed paste, wait for 1/2 minute and reduce flame.
- Cover the "kadai" with lid and simmer for a 2-3 minutes till drumstick fingers and potato cubes are sfot.
- Switch off the stove, and leave for 1 minute for the flavour to develop.
- Remove from stove and serve hot. Garnish with coriander leaves if you like.
- The curry is best served with rice or roti.