Chicken and DumplinsFrom susana 7 years ago
- 1 egg shopping list
- 3-tbspn cold water shopping list
- 2-tbspn peanut oil shopping list
- 1/2 tspn salt shopping list
- 1-cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 chicken fryer, quartered shopping list
- Additional 1-tspn salt shopping list
- 5-cups chicken stock shopping list
- 2-cups water shopping list
- 2 stalks celery shopping list
- 1 onion, peeled and halved shopping list
- 2-tbsn cold butter shopping list
- 1/4-cup whipping cream shopping list
- ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg, cold water, oil, and the 1-2-tspn salt.
- Stir in flour.
- Mix until well-blended and elastic.
- Refrgerate for 2 hours.
- Season chicken, including back and neck, with the 1-tspn salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven combine chicken stock, water, celery, onion, and pinkch of salt.
- Bring ot a boil.
- Add chicken pieces, placing leg quaters and backbone first.
- Place breast, skin side down, on top.
- Redcue heat to just below simmer.
- Cover, leaving half-inch opening.
- Cook 45 minutes or until breasts are just done; remove.
- Continue cooking leg quarters an addtional 40 minutes until tender.
- Remove chicen and vegetables.
- Set broth in pot aside.
- Discard vegetables.
- Set chicken aside.
- Remove skin.
- Pull meat from bones, tearing unti large pieces.
- Set aside.
- Discard bones.
- For dumplings, turn dough onto well-floured sufrace.
- Roll very thin, about 1/16-inch; cut into 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch pieces. Return broth to boiling.
- Season well with asdditional salt.
- Add dumplings to broth, shaking pot occsionally.
- Do not stir.
- Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add reserved chicken.
- Reduce t o simmer.
- Add butter, cream, and few grindings of black pepper.
- Remove from heat; cover.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- ENJOY! - Susana
- IN MEMORY OF MY MAW-MAW ON MOTHER'S DAY 2009
The Cooksusana Mandeville, LA
The Rating4 people
love a good chicken and dumpling celery and onion a plus thanks high5 and above.momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Susana, this is great...and a very nice Mother's Day remembrance for your grandmother. I've always loved our southern 'slick' dumplings, but have never gotten them to turn out like my grandma's did. Gave it a 5 rating for the wonderful memories! I wi...moredebbie919 in Manahawkin loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!