Basic lady fingers from the Culinary Institute of AmericaFrom peetabear 5 years ago
How to make it
- Line sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Whip the egg yolks with 9 oz/255 g of the granulated sugar on high speed with the whip attachment until thick and light, about 8 minutes.
- Whip the egg whites on medium speed with a clean whip attachment until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 4 oz / 113 g sugar to the whites in a steady stream, then increase to high speed and whip until medium peaks form.
- Working quickly but gently, fold the egg whites into the yolks. Fold in the sifted cake flour.
- 5 Fill a pastry bag fitted with a #4 plain tip with the batter and pipe into 3-in / 8-cm lengths on the prepared pans. Dust generously with confectioners' sugar.
- Bake at 400°F / 204°C until the edges turn a light golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to racks and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- Variation: Chocolate Ladyfingers
- Substitute 2 oz / 57 g cocoa powder for 2 oz / 57 g of the cake flour and sift it with the flour before proceeding as directed above.