Sausage and Cheese StrudelsFrom peetabear 7 years ago
- Filling: shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese shopping list
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 pound bulk pork sausages shopping list
- 5 larges beaten eggs shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh parsley shopping list
- Pastry: shopping list
- 5 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed shopping list
- 1/2 cup melted butter shopping list
- Topping: shopping list
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in small saucepan. Blend in flour'cook over medium heat until smooth and bubbly, about 1 minute. Gradually add milk; cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Add swiss and parmesan cheeses, salt, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until cheeses are melted. Set aside. In medium skillet, brown sausage, drain. Stir in eggs and thyme. Cook over medium heat until eggs are just set. Stir in cheese sauce and 1 tablespoon parsley. Cool completely.
- Unroll phyllo sheets: cover with plastic wrap or towel. Brush 1 phyllo sheet with melted butter, sprinkle with bread crumbs. Fold in half lengthwise, brush with butter. Place 1/2 cup filling on bottom of short side of filo, leaving 1 inch edge on bottom and sides. Turn up edge. Fold in sides. Roll up. Place seam side donw on ungreased cookie sheet.
- In small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Brush strudel with melted butter; sprinkle with topping. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets. filling, and topping. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until crisp and light brown. Serves 5 -can easily double.
- Note: Strudels can be prepared, covered, and refrigerated a day ahead, then baked as directed.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating6 people
How could anything in phyllo sheets be anything but decadent! I will be trying this for sure. Thanks for posting. Donnakytigger in Louisville loved it
Wow - would be so great for a brunch!clbacon in Birmingham loved it
Mmmmm....sounds mouthwatering! Awesome recipe, thanks!juels in Clayton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!