Roast Duck With Orange SauceFrom sitbynellie 5 years ago
How to make it
- Half an hour before cooking, take the duck out of the refrigerator and remove from packaging.
- Take out the giblets, if packaged inside the duck. (I once forgot to do this and left them in their plastic packaging inside the cavity - some interesting aromas were coming out of the oven once it got cooking).
- Cut off the 'parson's nose' (tail part). Cut off the huge lumps of excess fat from around the vent . Trim any excess skin away. Cut off the excess lumps of fat and skin from around the neck area.
- Wash the duck inside and out and pat really dry with kitchen paper.
- Preheat oven to Gas 7 (220C/425F).
- Using a very sharp knife, score diagonally through the skin of the breast, about 7-8 scores on either side.
- You must be very careful to just cut halfway through the fat of the breast and not to cut into the meat.
- Place the bird on a rack in a roasting tin - this will enable excess fat to drain away. You can save this fat for other cooking if you want.
- Put in the oven just above the middle, and roast for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- To make the sauce:
- Squeeze the 4 oranges and put the juice in a saucepan.
- Add the soy sauce and the sugar. Stir in well.
- Add a little salt and pepper.
- Put in a little finely grated orange zest, (about a teaspoon) making sure no white pith gets into the sauce.
- Bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Make a 'slurry' with the cornflour and cold water and add little by little to the to the sauce, until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- When the duck is done, let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- I serve this with some plain white rice, some green veg and the sauce.
- When Tom and I are feeling particularly carnivorous I don't carve the duck in the usual way - I can't be bothered and I usually wreck it anyway, not being good at carving - I just cut it in half lengthways with poultry shears and we devour it Henry the Eighth Style. Lots of kitchen paper required!
The Cooksitbynellie Glasgow, GB
The Rating7 people
great flavor combo here love duck addition of orange flavor is wonderful, thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Perfectcookingforfun in Marblehead loved it
You've got me drooling and you've got my 5 forks.
Cheers!gullion in Glasgow loved it