MoussakaFrom sitbynellie 6 years ago
- 750g waxy type potatoes, scrubbed shopping list
- 3 aubergines (eggplant) shopping list
- salt for sprinkling shopping list
- olive oil for grilling shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed shopping list
- 900g good-quality minced lamb shopping list
- 2 x 14 oz. cans chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 7 fl. oz. red wine shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano shopping list
- 2 teaspoons dried cinnamon shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice shopping list
- ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 large bunch fresh parsley, chopped fine shopping list
- 700ml chicken stock shopping list
- 80g butter shopping list
- 75g plain flour shopping list
- 1.2 litres milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon mustard shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- 300g grated cheese of your choice shopping list
- 4 eggs, beaten shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the potatoes:
- Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside. When cool enough to handle, slice carefully and set aside.
- Prepare the aubergines:
- Slice them up, and put a layer of slices in a colander. Sprinkle with salt. Layer more aubergines and salt, finishing with salt. Leave them about half an hour, and the bitter juice will start to seep out. Rinse them thoroughly and dry really well. Brush them well with olive oil and grill until they are browned. Put them aside on kitchen paper.
- Prepare the meat mixture:
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil.
- Fry the onions and garlic gently for about 5 minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the lamb and cook about 5 minutes, breaking up the meat well.
- Add the tomatoes, red wine, tomato puree, oregano, cinnamon, cumin and allspice, pepper to taste, the salt, the parsley and about 3/4 of the stock. Cook for about half an hour, adding more stock if the mix gets too thick.
- Preheat the oven to Gas 5/190C/375F.
- Make the bechamel sauce:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook very gently for a few minutes (don't let it go brown), then add the milk gradually and whisking like billy-o, and then add in the mustard. When the sauce has thickened, cook for a few minutes on a low heat. Add the nutmeg and cheese, keeping some back for sprinkling, and when this has melted in, take it off the heat let it cool for a bit (so the eggs won't curdle when you add them). Add the beaten eggs gradually.
- You now have all the components ready.
- Layer the meat, aubergine, sauce and potatoes in a large, lasagne type shallow ovenproof dish, finishing with potatoes and sauce.
- Sprinkle the top with the reserved cheese, put in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbling.
The Cooksitbynellie Glasgow, GB
The Rating4 people
I love moussaka and this recipe sounds great.joe1155 in Munchen loved it
Same As Joe, I Really Like Moussaka And This Is A Winner.
Thnx For Sharing.goblue434 in Anniston loved it
Definitely a 5elgourmand in Apia loved it