Cheese Squash And Onion TartFrom chefmeow 7 years ago
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated sugar shopping list
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter very cold cut into 1/4" cubes shopping list
- 1/4 cup ice water shopping list
- Topping: shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/4 pound yellow squash sliced into 1/4" rounds shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 pound pepper jack cheese coarsely grated shopping list
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream shopping list
How to make it
- In large bowl mix flour, salt and sugar.
- Using a pastry blender cut chilled butter into flour mixture just until butter is size of gumballs.
- Make a well in the middle of the dough then pour a small amount of ice water into center.
- Using a fork bring some of the flour butter mixture into the water.
- Continue until all of the water has been well incorporated.
- The mixture will be slightly crumbly but it should hold together.
- If it doesn't add more cold water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Press dough into a ball then flatten into a disk about 5” in diameter.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 then place a rack in lower third of the oven.
- In medium skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions and squash then sauté 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper then continue to cook 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and on a well floured surface roll it into an 8” circle.
- Place dough in shallow baking pan then spoon onion squash mixture onto center of the dough.
- Leave a 1-1/2” border and top with cheese then fold 1-1/2” border of tart toward center.
- Crimp edges a little as you go then brush folded-over edges with the milk or cream.
- Bake until border is golden and cheese is bubbly and golden brown about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!