Steak and Purple Potato SaladFrom fizzle3nat 5 years ago
- 1 tsp. lime juice shopping list
- 1 tsp. chili powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, mashed into a paste (or use a Microplane zester) shopping list
- 8 oz. sirloin steak, trimmed shopping list
- 3/4 lb. small purple potatoes (see Tip), scrubbed shopping list
- 2 TBSP. sherry vinegar, or cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 TBSP. extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 4 large radishes, sliced shopping list
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- Mix lime juice, chili powder, 1/4 tsp. salt and garlic in a small bowl to form a paste; rub onto both sides of steak. Refrigerate the steak.
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Drain, let cool for 10 minutes, then quarter.
- While the potatoes cool, preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Oil the grill rack (see Tip) or pan. Grill the steak, turning once, until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 140°F, about 10 minutes total on the grill or 16 to 20 minutes in a grill pan. Let rest for 5 minutes, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Whisk vinegar, oil, cumin, pepper and the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt in a large bowl. Add the steak and any accumulated juices, the potatoes, radishes, scallions and cilantro; gently toss to coat. Serve warm.
- Tips: Look for purple potatoes in well-stocked markets or substitute small yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as Yukon Golds.
- To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Don’t use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Toss the steak and potatoes with the dressing and vegetables (Step 4) just before serving.