Bears Grilled PaniniFrom grizzlybear 7 years ago
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or marjoram shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1- 1 pound fine textured, unsliced loaf of Italian rosemary bread from your local grocery store bakery shopping list
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced thin shopping list
- 6-8 ounces prosciutto shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted shopping list
- 1 Japanese eggplant, roasted, sliced lengthwise shopping list
- 1 cup arugula, stemmed shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- alfalfa sprouts (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the onion, extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and fresh herbs in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Spray a clean grill grate with nonstick spray. Heat coals or gas grill to low.
- Trim rounded top and the bottom off the rosemary bread. Cut the loaf lengthwise into 1/2" thick slices.
- Place a single layer of provolone cheese on one slice of the bread. Add a layer of prosciutto, roasted red bell pepper, roasted eggplant, onion relish, arugula and another layer of provolone cheese. Top with another slice of bread, brush top and bottom of sandwich with olive oil.
- Place the sandwich onto the grill, put a pie plate on top, then weigh it down with a few potatoes. Close the lid and grill for 3 minutes or until the grill marks are golden brown. Using a spatula, turn the sandwich over and grill another 3 minutes. The cheese should be melted.
- Use a sharp straight edged knife and cut the Panini into small easy to handle shapes (triangle, rectangle or square).
- Serve hot and enjoy