Southern Sweet Potato PieFrom kellybelly27 7 years ago
How to make it
- Boil sweet potato until you can poke through them with a fork.
- Peel them and leave for a few hours in a strainer to drain the excess water. (I normally do this overnight in the fridge just to get it all out)
- After thoroughly drained, mash and then beat at medium speed stopping occassionally to remove strings from beaters.
- Add sugar, flour, and softened butter beating with each addition.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating on medium speed.
- Slowly pour in evaporated milk, beating at low speed.
- I normally use about 2 teaspoons nutmeg since I love the stuff, but season to your tastes.
- Pour into your favorite pie shell (I like Jiffy Pie crust mix with lemon rhind, but anything will do, something with lemon tho brings out the flavor in the pie alot more)
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 400F.
- I let this sit overnight in the fridge, or you can wait a few hours for it to settle. It's wonderful served warm, but if you like it a little firmer, serve it cold like you would pumpkin pie.
- Make sure to wrap tightly to avoid molding.
The Cookkellybelly27 McKinney, TX
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!