Beef and sausage Mozzarella RollFrom peetabear 6 years ago
- 1 Tablespoon butter or olive oil shopping list
- 8 ounces mushrooms, brushed clean and chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup minced sweet onion shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/4 cup sweet red wine shopping list
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste, divided use shopping list
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20 chuck recommended) shopping list
- 1/2 pound bulk ground pork breakfast sausage (sage or italian seasoned is nice) shopping list
- 1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs shopping list
- 1/8 cup minced fresh basil shopping list
- 1/8 cup minced fresh oregano shopping list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or Italian blend), divided use shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter or olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add mushrooms and sweet onions. Gently saute until onion is translucent and mushrooms release their liquid, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and wine. Simmer until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and stir in half of the tomato paste. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine ground beef, ground sausage, bread crumbs, basil, oregano, egg, half of the mushroom mixture, salt, and pepper just until combined. Do not overmix.
- On waxed or parchment paper, press the ground beef mixture into a 14 x 10-inch rectangle. Distribute remaining mushroom mixture evenly over the ground beef to 1 inch from the edges. Sprinkle with1 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Use the paper to help roll the the meat from the short side into a loaf, like a jelly roll. Place in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish, seam-side down.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and spread evenly with remaining tomato paste and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Return to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing to serve.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!